Monday 21 January 2008

The Authority of Passion


Twitching the pencil I grasp within my fingers, my eyes almost rolling back in total cluelessness, the deepest end and the furthest coil of my mind churned and spurned, searching for but one solution to the wonderous mystery lay hidden yet so open before me on a sheet of white paper. It was rhetorical, almost nonsensical, to prove the extent of my knowledge to say the very least. It laid out that "There is no room for a doctrine of freedom of contract in modern consumer protection legislation." Critically evaluate this statement in relation to twenty-first century consumer protection legislation. I am a student of the law, a law student, a student learning the law to pratice it in the future, a learner who anticipates law as a possible career option for the future, WHATEVER, whichever way the complicated art of speech decides to put it. The question boggled my mind for a few minutes. Ignorance was bliss to say the least. However, one could not be ignorant for too long in life-and-death situations as these, I had only been given 30 minutes to extract to the last drop of juice my mind could possibly churn out and submit my answer in full, full being defined as a minimum 2-page answer. Life pretty much treats us this way a large portion of the time. Too often we are faced with scenarios we least expect, scenarios beyond the furthest valley of our limited imagination, whereby we are expected to produce something in the shortest time possible. Some could involve, literally, life-and-death situations.
I have come to realize that life in itself has a very high occupancy rate. Get too caught up in life and it will bring you back to - yes, you guessed it right, back to the point of difference, the point where nothing means anything at all, where questions seem to pop right out but the more you look at it the more it does not make sense to you. Not everything that happens in life has answers behind it. For example, why do bad things happen to good people? A simple question, really, but one that significantly holds true beyond the drapes that so thinly disguise truth from falsity. Think about it. That one thing that has ever occured, making you wonder what you have done to deserve that occurance. Mind-busting, really, at times, but still the routinely vague existence of this thorn in the flesh makes you wonder - if all this is really meant to happen, what points us to the purpose of driving life? The authority of passion! We are blessed as passionate beings. In the face of routine, in the phase of transition, and in the eye of the storm, if humans are passionate about what they are doing, that is what makes them different. Thomas Elva Edison was passionate. He was faced with and uphill task of creating what we know today as the light bulb. He tried thousands of times to make it work, and finally he did. Billy Graham was passionate. At 83, he still travels to preach the gospel and to finish the mission for which he was appointed for. Albert Einstein was passionate. He grew from the boy his schoolteacher once condemned for possesing a lack of knowledge into one of the greatest scientist of all times.
It makes me wonder, so many times, what does life really mean to me, and I know this question is one I have asked myself over and over and over again. It seems to be dangerously routine, emphatically similar, and intriguingly repetitive. A roller coster ride would not even describe the things that have been going on in my life the past 2 weeks. But maybe, just maybe, if passion was something to be found, God help me to find it again. Because I have once underestimated its authority. And now I want it back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.