Thursday 3 January 2008

The Human Side of Things


The second day of the new year brought winds of change for humans bustling in and out of their daily activites. Or so was thought. My folks returned to work today, and brought back none other than the same old tales of the menaces in the arena of the working world that has graced the cover of "tales told at the dinner table" for years to count now. Change? Questionable. Routinely cycle? Most probably. The joke was on a couple of female workers at my mom's workplace, however. These ladies were new to the job and after 2 days of work, apparently the pressure was too much for their souls and they were seen by fellow workers joining hands and sprinting out of the office, never to be seen again.
A pinch of success for me on the other hand, though, as I somehow succeeded in pushing myself to step off the comfortable corners of my warm loft bed before the clock struck noon, four hours shy of mid-day, to be exact. Very unusual of my daily sleeping habits, to say the least. The purpose, anyhow? To utilize the gymnasium of which I was a member, situated in a local shopping mall, before it got too crowded in the later part of the day. Meeting the equipment in the gym was like meeting old friends. But those friends, I soon found out, were not as closely acquainted to me as they had used to be. In other words, it has been quite awhile since I stretched my muscles on a serious basis and strength training on this particular day would be unusually hard to get used to. Thank grace for a couple of friends I bumped into (real walking, talking creatures). We chatted, exchanged stories and worked out together, thus enlightening the whole experience. I will be back at the gym before long, as I hope to regain shape before classes resume in 2 weeks.
But if new year's was supposed to be anything but speactacular, this was it. The harsh reality is as much as we look forward and eagerly anticipate the exciting and amazing things a new year is said to bring, you will inevitably find it quite the same as the last. Truth be told, you will be driving along the same roads, doing pretty much the same stuff and meeting the same people (jerks included). It would be fun, however, for clusters of the community to introduce changes into the routine as a whole in view of the new year. This would make it a little more less predictable. Wee. For instance, if a plumbing company suddenly decided that all its plumbers should don firemen uniforms this year. Now THAT would be interesting. Seeing the place firement would gain in the frail hearts of society who just suffered a loss from a fire. Or if the policemen decided that all patrol cars should be fitted with turbo engines so that burglars in getaway cars wouldn't stand a chance of escape. CLICHE.
That being said, however, the rest of my day was routine. An outing with my friends after working out, dinner at a mamak place near my residence, and it was back home for me. 2nd day. Lets see what tomorrow brings. Lights out peepz.

No comments: