Wednesday 9 January 2008

Reflections Under The Rain


After a tiring yet pathetically uneventful afternoon, I was bestowed the comfort of a late evening downpour. Little did I know that the cool air that brought trickles of delight to my soul, at least while I was still under shaded area, would soon turn into a nemesis. As I disembarked from the KTM Commuter train at my station, I painfully noticed that the rain showed no signs of slowing down. My house was a 5 minute walk away from the station so I knew I had to either brave the tremendous shower or wait til it stopped. With full knowledge of the weather patterns in my drenched country, I decided to take a quick walk back once the tears of the sky slowed. True enough, the rain stopped a few minutes later and I gratefully made my way out of the station and on to the road. For some divine reason not entirely known to man, or me for that matter, it started pouring again as soon as I started making my way home. And it was literally POURING. Since I was already drenched, I decided to take a slow walk back, with the only worries in my head being the condition of my mobile phone which was in my pocket at that time, in response to rain water. Confident that my RM200+ pair of Levi's jeans was engineered of material thick enough to prevent water from seeping into the pockets, I slowly trudged back home. For one thing, I realised that walking home under the rain vanquishes the need for me to bathe when I reach home, thus saving time and water. All I have to do is dry myself with a towel and voila! I'm all fresh again. Clean.. erm.. questionable. Secondly, walking with a pair of dirty shoes under a heavy downpour means that I do not need to clean it when I get back. All I had to do was just walk slowly and let nature do its job on the protectors of my feet. Thirdly, walking under the rain tells me just how lucky I am to be the one the sky chose to urinate on (not many people get to be the chosen one everyday).
On to a more serious note, my trudge home today allowed me to reflect on the things that have been going on in my life since 2008 started, part of which are baggages carried forward from 2007. Images of the past flashed back and forth and danced in my mind like a troupe of dancers. The things I had done wrong, the things I had done right, the words uttered to me and the responses I channelled back, everything. For awhile, I was oblivious to the fact that the rain was soaking me to the skin. When I was jolted from my reverie by the sudden passing of a vehicle, the urge to walk faster flooded me. As I walked through the door of my home dripping, I wondered if any of the memories I had still hold any real meaning to my today. There were moments I wished to relieve, moments I wished to put out completely. If only the reflections under the rain were more than reflections. Classes are starting on Monday, and for some reason I am not looking forward to it. Hopefully the best finds me somewhere.

No comments: